Welcome!

Welcome to my first blog. I feel with all the emotions running rampant that this would be a positive outlet for me to share my rants, frustrations, joys and tribulations in my journey to find a job.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Why should I get my hopes up?

OK so today I get a call for a different position at a company I had applied for several weeks if not months ago. At first I was flattered, excited and elated that they found me through all of the resumes they received and that they wanted me to come in and spend their precious time for an interview. That excitement slowly diminished as the conversation continued. When she told me who she was with (a prominent orthopedic surgical center) I said awesome, I get to use some of my schooling. She said well don't get too excited, its just for a receptionist/front desk position. Is that OK with you? I said of course! She then asked when would be a good time to go in. I said let me look at my calender. First I said I was open Friday but she hemmed and hawed so I said well next Monday would probably work out better as I think something was going on Friday, if that works for you. She seemed irritated but set it up for Monday afternoon. Of course I was kicking myself later as the interview is at the same time I need to take the kid to his Dr. app on the other side of town. No worries, I will just drop him off 30 min early as its a group play activity. I just don't know anymore if it is worth getting my hopes up. I have struck out for over a year now. Each interview I go to seems to feel more and more stressful. I feel like I have been put on exhibit but nobody bothered to tell me. Does that make sense? I know its my insecurity. I am a wonderful person who can do an over and above job. I have great work ethics and I know I will be a great find for someone. I just cant help but feeling insecure as I am not 5'8" and I do not wear a size 8. I am not 20 something, nor do I want to be perceived as such. I am in my mid 40-s but mistaken for 30's. I am overweight (gasp). But I have a great personality. Too bad everyone is looking for "barbie" and they want to pay her in Starbucks cash. I know as each day gets closer to the interview my stomach will get tighter and tighter in knots. I wish I could say hey, I know I'm fat but I have lost over 30 lbs. Don't even get me started on the other issues out there. I will almost bet my little dog (as I am beyond broke) that the starting pay will be something obscene and they will laugh when I say I cannot work for less than unemployment. But being realistic here, I have a mortgage, a kid to feed and bills to pay. I am not asking for an obscene amount. $14.50/hr is NOT a lot! I used to make over 5/hr more! So should I get my hopes up? I think not! Time to send out some more applications (sighs). Will it ever end?

1 comment:

  1. Economic supply and demand is what you are up against.
    Because so many are out of work, that pits you against hundreds of others who want the same jobs you are applying for.
    In addition, many of these are willing to work for obscenely low amounts of pay. So, how much you used to make, and how much your bills set you back each month, are irrelevant.
    This is not personal. Employers have it made. You've heard of Buyer's Market in real estate? (lots of homes for sale, not many buyers). Well, it's a buyer's market for employers right now. Lots of job seekers, not many jobs. So, they can pick and choose and you can bet your bottom dollar (no pun intended) that wages will decrease. Don't take it personally (although I know it's hard not to) but it's the law of economics.
    This is why I try to live so frugally. I lost my job in 2003. I still apply for jobs (have applied for three in the past week). I rarely even get a call back. I just keep plugging along doing what I do...and being cautious on how I spend my money.
    Things will work out! Evaluate your skills and start you own business. I can help you. :)

    ReplyDelete